Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Katie a Nerd? Maybe 'once in a lifetime'


Katie Holmes? No, I think not. The problem, of course, is that it impoverishes the language. If we let Katie Holmes get away with calling herself a nerd, then we no longer have the perfect word to describe Steve Wozniak. It's also offensive to all the real nerds who get swirlied, wedgied, and nerpled all over the world every day – often by lunks who look just like self-proclaimed super thetan Tom Cruise.

Since she says "I'm pretty normal, I'm not a smooth type of girl, I run into things, I trip, I spill food, I say stupid things - I really don't have it all together. But I'm working on it - I really am.", I'd throw her in the spaz category.

Unless she's hiding a pocket protector and a slide rule under her Kurt Cobain sweatshirt, and just finished installing the latest Linux update on her Netbook. Highly unlikely.

If she wanted to compare her life to a nerd's she might watch Weird Al's White and Nerdy, and see how it compares. I'm sure it's not even close.

But, there is one original nerd song that oddly, does seem to sum up her life. David Byrne with the Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment